Session 4 2024 SMART Goal Project

SUMMARY

Focus / Instrument

Drums

Intention (SMART Goal)

By March 1, as part of TEAM 2 as a drummer, I will have evidence of double bass proficiency by following those two videos and actually focusing on longer bursts of speed for Session 4.

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Primary

The Song

Secondary

This is an excellent cover of this song. The ghost notes are extremely smooth and add so much to the song. With regards to my main focus this session though, the double bass patterns are quite intricate and executed at a very high level. I hope I can get to this level someday even though I wouldn’t watch something like this a learn a whole lot. It’s just a great watch you know?

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Training Source(s)

Samus has been a great drum YouTuber so it was nice seeing a tutorial from him. He really showed me that just slowing the whole process down can help me get this technique down and it will be very beneficial for the band. I can already do heel-toe on my right foot I just gotta get my left cooking.
Technically this video is unavailable on school computers but gives an in-depth analysis of the drum parts written by Meshuggah’s drummer, Tomas Haake. It’s a very interesting watch and it becomes abundantly clear that this dude is an absolute machine. It does make the parts at least appear more doable though.

SMART Goal Milestone Schedule

We will have a rough recording of our song by the end of next week and we will record the final version of the song by the last week of the session.

PRODUCTION

SMART Goal Starting Point Evidence

SMART Goal Ending Point Evidence

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I had to work outside my comfort zone with the speed at which I played the double bass at the beginning and even the trap-style high-hat groove at the beginning of the song. A lot of this is due to how much the music allowed me to innovate or even re-innovate my style on drums.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I let everyone else communicate with me once the ideas were formed and expressed my ideas for the drum parts with the group.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I used Garageband.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

This as per usual strengthens the teamwork elements of everyday life. I feel we’ve really found our groove in the songwriting process.

Reactions to the Final Version

Keith said that we should work on the transition from when we all drop out and it is just Connor

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Honestly, I’m pretty happy with my parts on this song. They feel familiar but different from the work we’ve done before. I like that we stay around 4-6 with the time signatures instead of 7s and 9s. I want to do more with high hat pedal in the future though.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Aidan Parsons